Judge Gary L. Sweet
Administrative Judge - Criminal Division
St. Lucie: One-third of Felony Cases.
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A. in Journalism, with honors, 1973)
- Nova University (J.D., magna cum laude, 1978); Associate Editor, 1976-1977 and Editor-in-Chief, 1977-1978, Nova University Law Journal.
- Circuit Court Judge - January 1, 2005 - present
- Civil Commercial Litigation, including Business Disputes, Contracts, Construction, Lien and Mortgage Foreclosures, Collections; Employment Disputes; Non-Compete Litigation; Civil Mediation; Arbitrations. Current practice includes trials in all levels of Florida State Courts and Federal District Court. Additionally, experienced in appellate matters in Florida State Courts. Qualifications include extensive experience as mediator in commercial disputes.
- Law Clerk to Honorable Norman C. Roettger, Jr., U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1978-1980 Trial Bar, U.S. District, Southern District of Florida
- Martin County Bar Association: former Chairman Professionalism Committee, Mediator and Host for Professionalism Seminar
- The Florida Bar
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
- Certified Circuit Court Civil Mediator
- Member 19th Judicial Circuit Bar Grievance Committee 1994-1997, Chairman 1997.
- Federal District Court Ad Hoc Committee on Attorney Admission, Peer Review and Attorney Grievance, Southern District of Florida
- Federal Magistrate Merit Selection Panel for Selection of Part-time and Full-time Magistrate for Fort Pierce Division, 2002, 1993, 1992
- Education Foundation of Martin County, Board of Directors 1994-1997, Chairman 1998, Treasurer 1999 Treasure Coast Builders Association, former chairman, Education Committee, Lecturer at Construction Lien Enforcement Seminars
- Deaf Service Center of the Treasure Coast, Board of Directors 1990-1993, Chairman, 1994
- Junior Achievement, regular lecturer at high school Economics Classes
- Martin County Literacy Council, volunteer tutor
- Martin County High School Baseball Booster Club, former President
- Martin County Fair Association
All Unopposed Motions to Continue, with proposed Order, must be received no later than Noon on Wednesday the week prior to docket call (via email, see updated procedures). No Exceptions. Please plan accordingly.
** Please click below to read PROCEDURES before contacting Judge Sweet's office.**
Notice to the Public
The Code of Judicial Conduct governing behavior by judges forbids Judge Sweet to discuss pending cases with the public. Please do not call the Court expecting to speak with Judge Sweet about any case. The Court is only allowed to consider arguments made in the courtroom and in documents properly filed by actual parties in the case as authorized by law and the Rules of Court. The Court cannot ethically read or consider any other opinions or arguments about the case. Communications that do not meet these legal requirements cannot be forwarded to the Judges.
If you choose to e-mail our office, please note that our office does not accept ex-parte e-mails. Copies of all e-mails sent to this office also must be sent to all opposing counsel/parties in the case. Please visit the Florida Bar website should you wish to obtain the e-mail address of an attorney qualified to practice law in the State of Florida.
To be used only upon approval by Judicial Assistant and to fax notices of settlement/dismissal for removal from trial dockets.