Judge William L. Roby
St. Lucie: One-third of Felony Cases.
- BA Administrative Office Cum Laude Of Northern Iowa 1982
- J.D. Creighton University School of Law 1985
- Appointed by Governor Bush on Jan. 21, 2000
- Elected 2002, 2008
- 19th Circuit Family Administrative Judge, 2001-2003
- 19th Circuit Civil Administrative Judge, 2003-2004
- 19th Circuit Chief Judge, Dec 2004 - July 2009
- Service as Family, Civil, Juvenile,Felony and Drug Court Judge in all four Counties
- Chair Justice Teaching 19th Judicial Circuit
- Chair-19th Circuit Bench/Bar Committee, 2000-2004
- Trial Court Budget Commission, 2002-Dec 2008
- Supreme Court Certified Diversity Trainer
- 1985-2000 AV Rated,Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Board Certified Business Litigation (Board Cert. inactive)
- Children Services Council of St. Lucie County- Member 2000-2002
- President Martin County YMCA 1996-98
- YMCA Easter House Project Chair 1995-96
- Chair YMCA Easter House Ticket Sales 1994-95
- YMCA Board of Directors 1989-present
- Foundation for Florida’s Future- Martin County Chair 1995-2000
- Judicial Administration, Selection, and Tenure Committee,1994-2000
- Chairman, 1999-2000
- Vice Chair 1998-1999
- Prepaid Legal Services Committee 1993-94
- Annual Convention/Meeting Committee 1991-93
- 19th Judicial Circuit- Appointments by the Florida Bar
- Grievance Committee 1997-2000
- Chair-2000 , Vice-Chair and Acting Chair 1998-99
- Attorney Fee Arbitration 1996-98
- 2009 Florida Bar YLD Jurist of the Year
Martin County Bar
- President 1998-99
- Vice President 1997-98
- Secretary 1996-97
- Treasurer 1995-96
- Young Lawyers Section President 1991-93
- Chair Law Week Committee 1991-93
- Chair Justice Teaching Commitee 2007-to present
Justice Major B. Harding Inns of Court
- Founding member
- Master 2003-to present
- President 2005
- Vice President 2003-04
Judicial Teaching Experience
- Family Faculty AJS 2003-2005
- Family Faculty Circuit Judges Conference 2004-2009
- Family Faculty New Judge College 2008-2009
- Civil Trial Faculty Florida Judicial College 2009-2010
- Certified Diversity Trainer 2011-Present
Information re Attending Hearings with Judge Roby
for January 24, 2022 – January 28, 2022
Monday, January 24 - * Sentencings – PD & PA (a.m.) – Appearance of counsel may be via Zoom (please see instructions below), but appearance by defendants must be in person.
Tuesday, January 25 - * Public Defender Docket Call (a.m.) - Appearance is to be via Zoom (please see instructions below). The appearance of defendants who are represented by counsel is waived for Docket Call.
* Private Attorney Docket Call (p.m.) – Appearance is to be via Zoom (please see instructions below). The appearance of defendants who are represented by counsel is waived for Docket Call.
Wednesday, January 26 – * Arraignments (a.m.) – Appearance is to be in person.
* VOP Arraignments (a.m.) – Appearance is to be in person.
* VOP Docket Call (p.m.) - Appearance is to be via Zoom (please see
instructions below). The appearance of defendants who are represented by counsel is waived for Docket Call.
Thursday, January 27 - * VOP trials (a.m.) - Appearance by attorneys and defendants are to be in person.
Friday, January 28 - * VOP trials (all day) - Appearance by attorneys and defendants are to be in person.
ZOOM INSTRUCTIONS FOR HEARING ATTENDANCE
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 732 074 4858
One tap mobile
+17866351003,,7320744858# US (Miami)
+16465588656,,7320744858# US (New York)
If counsel would like their client transported from the jail, counsel should provide a Motion to Transport, together with a proposed Order to Transport at least 5 days prior to the hearing. Please note that, in our division, defendants will only be transported for trials, sentencings, and evidentiary hearings.
***Please review Judge Roby's procedures before contacting the Judicial Assistant***
Notice to the Public
The Code of Judicial Conduct governing behavior by judges forbids Judge Roby to discuss pending cases with the public. Please do not call the Court expecting to speak with Judge Roby about any case. The Court is only allowed to consider arguments made in the courtroom and in documents properly filed by actual parties in the case authorized by law and the Rules of Court. The Court cannot ethically read or consider any other opinions or arguments about the case. Communications that do not meet these legal requirements cannot be forwarded to the Judges.
If you choose to e-mail our office, please note that our office does not accept ex-parte e-mails. Copies of all e-mails sent to this office also must be sent to all opposing counsel/parties in the case. Please visit the Florida Bar website should you wish to obtain the e-mail address of an attorney qualified to practice law in the State of Florida.
Jury Duty Information
All Unopposed Motions to Continue, with proposed Order, must be received no later than Noon on Wednesday the week prior to docket call (via email, see updated procedures). No Exceptions. Please plan accordingly.
Calendars will be posted as soon as available and will be updated when necessary. Please be sure to check the calendars frequently. DO NOT contact the Judicial Assistant to inquire when a calendar will be posted.